- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. chicken livers, chopped fine
- ½ lb. pork sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups cooked rice, chilled
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
In a large, heavy sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken livers and sausage and cook, stirring, until the meat is browned, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, Essence, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the stock and bay leaves scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir thoroughly. Cook until the rice is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Stir in the parsley and serve.
Dirty Rice. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.