- 7 dried chilies, large, seeded
- 1-½ teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 inches lemongrass, bottom half only, finely chopped
- 3 slices galangal, finely chopped (1/8” thick slices)
- 1 inch knob turmeric
- 3 slices ginger, (1/8" thick)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 small heads shallots, (1/4 cup choped)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste, omit if vegetarian
1. Cut dried chilies into chunks using scissors and remove most of the seeds. Add chilies to a coffee or spice grinder and grind into a powder.
2. In a stone mortar and pestle, add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and white peppercorns; grind into a powder. Remove and set aside in a bowl; add curry powder to this bowl.
3. Add lemongrass, galangal, ginger, turmeric and salt to the mortar and pound into a paste. When the mixture feels too wet, add the dry spices to help absorb the liquid and continue to pound into a fine paste. Add ground chilies, shallots, and garlic; pound into a fine paste. Add shrimp paste and pound to mix.