- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon black mustard seed
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 large carrots, sliced into small coins
- 3 Thai green chili peppers, (the small skinny ones), chopped
- 12 curry leaves, (optional)
- 1-¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½– 1 cup coconut milk, (can use regular milk, soy milk, or rice milk)
I think my mom made this carrot curry basically once a week through my entire childhood.
1. Sauté onions in oil on high with mustard seed and cumin seeds until onions are golden. Add carrots, chili peppers, curry leaves if using, turmeric, and salt. Cook on high, stirring, for a few minutes.
2. Add milk and turn heat down to low; simmer until blended, stirring frequently. Serve hot.
If the carrots aren't new and fresh and sweet, btw, you can add a t. of sugar near the end. This dish is meant to be mildly sweet-spicy.