- 1-¼ lbs boneless pork belly, with skin, or shoulder
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 4 slices unpeeled ginger
- 1 spring onion, white part only, crushed slightly
- 2 tbsps Shaosing wine or dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken stock, or water, plus more if needed
- star anise
- cinnamon stick
- 1 dash dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- few lengths spring onion greens, to garnish
1. Cut the pork into 3/4”–1” (2–3 cm) chunks.
2. Pour the oil into a seasoned wok over a high flame, followed by the ginger and spring onion and stir-fry until you can smell their aromas. Add the pork and stir-fry for a couple of minutes more. Splash in the Shaoxing wine. Add the stock, spices, soy sauce, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Mix well, then transfer to a clay pot or a sauce pan with a lid.
3. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over a very low flame for at least 1-1/2 hours, preferably two or three. Keep an eye on the pot to make sure it does not boil dry; add a little more stock or hot water if necessary. Adjust the seasoning and add the spring onion greens just before serving.