- 3 lbs chicken wings, wing tips removed & wings cut into 2 pcs
- 2 tbsps fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 dried red chiles
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup sake
- 3 tbsps oyster sauce
- 3 tbsps mirin
- 4 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 scallions, sliced into 1" lengths
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
1. Wing prep: Remove wing tips, and cut wings into 2 pieces each.
2. Sauce: Combine water, mirin, soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, and brown sugar in a cup. Stir. Add ginger, anise, cinnamon, chiles, and scallions.
3. Cooking: Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the wings, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer at the same moderate heat for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Discard the chiles, star anise, ginger and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, scatter the scallions and sesame seeds on top and serve.