- 2 lbs. red kidney beans, canned
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 2 ⅔ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp walnut oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp scallions, finely sliced
- 4 tbsp cilantro, minced
1. Drain the beans and put them in a small bowl. Save the liquid.
2. You need a food processor or blender to make the dressing. (If you have neither, pound the garlic and walnuts in a mortar. Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix. Slowly add the oil, beating well with a fork.) Start your machine and put in the garlic. When it is minced, put in the walnuts. When they have turned crumblike, add the vinegar. Slowly add 1/4 cup (per lb of beans) of the reserved bean liquid. Blend until you have a paste. You may have to stop the machine and scrape down a few times. Now add the oil in a steady stream and then the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Blend until you have a smooth dressing.
3. Pour the dressing over the beans. Add half the scallion and half the Chinese parsley. Mix and taste for seasonings. You may cover and chill the salad until you are ready to eat; it improves if allowed to sit around for a few hours. Just before you are ready to eat, put the salad on a clean serving dish and sprinkle the remaining scallion and Chinese parsley over the top.
Caucasus, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes