- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole ajwain seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp golden raisins
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Pick over the lima beans and wash them. Put them in a bowl and cover them with 3 cups of water. Leave to soak for 20 hours. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy, 2- to 3-quart pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the ajwain seeds and stir once. Now put in the drained lima beans and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the turmeric, cayenne to taste, salt, raisins, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to mix. Add 3/4 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cover tightly and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Check the beans after every 10 minutes. If the water evaporates, add a tablespoon of hot water whenever needed. There should be no liquid left when the lima beans have finished cooking.
Indian, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes