- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 6 oz. mushrooms, halved lengthwise
- 14 oz. beets, peeled
- 2 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Dice the peeled beets into 3/4" cubes.
2. Put the oil in a medium pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the cumin and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, a matter of seconds, put in the mushrooms. Give the mushrooms a quick stir and put in the beets. Stir and fry the beets for 2 minutes. Now put in the ginger, garlic, and chile. Stir and fry, still on medium-high heat, for another 2 minutes. Now put in the tomato sauce, water, and the salt. Stir to mix and bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and cook gently for about 40 minutes, or until the beets are tender.
Indian, International Cuisine, Vegetarian Dishes