- 6 medium raw shrimp, shelled, washed and deveined
- 1 teaspoon nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1 lb. fresh lump crab meat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chopped scallion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh chili, preferably Thai, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs, preferably fresh
- ½ cup all-purpose flour , for dredging
- Peanut or vegetable oil , as needed, (about 2-4 cups)
- Lime wedges , for serving
1. Purée shrimp in a food processor (smaller is better) until you have a smooth paste, or chop and mash by hand. Add fish sauce. In a bowl, mix the shrimp purée, crab meat, egg, scallion, cilantro, chili, ginger and salt and pepper; add just enough bread crumbs to stiffen mixture a bit. Refrigerate mixture until you are ready to cook; it will be easier to shape into cakes if you refrigerate it for 30 minutes or more.
2. Season flour with salt and pepper. Film bottom of a large skillet with oil and place over medium-high heat. Shape crab meat mixture into cakes 1 inch thick and as wide as you want. Dredge each in flour, and cook, adjusting heat as necessary and turning once (very gently), until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes a side. Serve with lime wedges.
Thai Style Crab Cakes. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.