- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsps chopped capers
- 4 tsps sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsps chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsps finely chopped onion
This quick and easy tartar sauce is a great accompaniment to fried perch, crab cakes, or crab balls.
1. Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt, sugar, and egg yolks in a food processor. Turn the food processor on and begin to add the olive oil, a few drops at a time, until the mayonnaise emulsifies and thickens. Stop the motor and transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl.
2. Add the capers, relish, dill, and onion, stirring to blend. Chill the tartar sauce, covered, for at least 1 hour before serving.
If you are concerned about making a raw-egg mayonnaise, begin the recipe with 1 cup good-quality commercial mayonnaise. Stir in the 2 teaspoons lemon juice and the 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, and then proceed with step 2.
DO NOT use extra-virgin olive oil, as called for in the recipe; the pepper bite is awful. In the end this seemed way too fiddly; just throw some relish and chopped sweet pickles into some mayonnaise and call it a day.
Tartar Sauce with Dill and Capers. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.