- 2 ½ lbs. sweet potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 5 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 whole dried hot red chili peppers, halved
- 2 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 20 curry (daun salam) leaves
- 1 ¼ lbs. onion
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
1. Peel the onion, cut it in half lengthwise and then crosswise into very fine half rings.
2. Peel the sweet potatoes, quarter them lengthwise, then cut crosswise at 3/4" intervals to get chunky pieces. Put the sweet potato pieces in a large pot and cover with water. Add the turmeric and bring to a boil. Stir well to mix in the turmeric. Boil, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender but still firm. Drain.
3. Put the oil in a large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the red chiles. Stir once and when the chiles darken, a matter of seconds, put in the cardamom and cinnamon. Stir once or twice and put in the curry leaves. Stir once and put in the onions. Stir and cook the onions for 5 to 6 minutes, or until they are lightly browned. Put in the sweet potatoes. Stir and fry for 5 minutes. Put in the crushed red chiles, salt, and lime juice. Stir and cook, lowering the heat as needed, until the sweet potatoes are tender enough for your taste.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods before serving.
International Cuisine, Vegetarian Dishes
Sri Lankan Sweet Potatoes with Cardamom and Chiles. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.