- 2.5 lbs eggplant, (1.1 kg)
- 7 tbsps peanut oil, (100 ml)
- salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup greek yogurt, (200 g)
- 2 tsps curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tsps lime juice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (1-2/3 cups, 150 g)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, (30g)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, (40g)
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚≥
2. Use a vegetable peeler to peel away the strips of eggplant skin from top to bottom, leaving the eggplants with alternating strips of black skin and white flesh, like a zebra. Cut widthwise into rounds, 3/4 inch/2 cm thick, and place in a large bowl. Mix well with 5 tbsp/70 ml of the oil, 12/23 tsp of salt, and plenty of pepper, and spread out on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 40–45 minutes, until dark golden brown, then set aside to cool.
3. Mix the yogurt with 1 tsp of curry powder, the turmeric, lime juice, a generous pinch of salt, and a good grind of pepper. Keep in the fridge, until required.
4. Put the remaining 2 tbsp of oil into a large frying pan and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion and fry for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and dark golden brown. Add the remaining 1 tsp of curry powder, the almonds, and a pinch of salt, and continue to fry for 2 minutes, until the almonds have lightly browned.
5. When you are ready to serve, arrange the eggplant slices on a large platter or individual plates, slightly overlapping, spoon on the yogurt sauce and top with the fried onion mix. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, pomegranate seeds, and lime zest, and serve.
Roasted Eggplant with Curried Yogurt. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.