- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 2 tsps honey
- 2 tbsps rose harissa, (to taste, really)
- 1-½ tbsps butter, melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-¾ lbs long, thin, baby carrots, (or regular carrots, cut into 4" batons 1/2" thick), peeled and stems trimmed
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tsps lemon juice
This is a striking salad with bright colors and serious flavor. Serve alongside any chicken, slow-cooked lamb, or with a selection of vegetables and legumes. Long baby carrots look loverly here, as ever, but if you are starting with regular carrots that’s fine—just slice them into long, thin batons.
Roast the carrots up to 6 hours in advance if you want to get ahead, and mix with the remaining ingredients just before you are ready to serve.
1. Preheat the oven to 475˚F.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cumin, honey, harissa, butter, oil, and 3/4 tsp salt. Add the carrots, mix well, then spread out on a large parchment-lined baking sheet. You don’t want to overcrowd the carrots, so use two sheets if you need to.
3. Roast for 12–14 minutes, until the carrots are beginning to brown but still retain a bite, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. When ready to serve, mix the carrots with the cilantro, pomegranate seeds, and lemon juice and serve.