- 1 lb. asparagus, medium-thick
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 10 ounces dry penne pasta
- 3 eggs
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup pecorino, grated (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
1. Snap off the ends of the asparagus. If the stalks are thick, peel the bottoms. Slant-cut the asparagus in 1-inch pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook on medium-low until the garlic is fragrant. Add asparagus and stir-fry until al dente, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook until al dente. In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs enough to blend them. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup of the pasta water into the eggs. Drain pasta and add to skillet. Add remaining oil and toss with asparagus over low heat, just enough to combine and warm the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
3. Very slowly stir about half the egg mixture into the pasta and asparagus, mixing everything constantly. Don’t worry if some of the egg scrambles a bit. Quickly stir the cheese into remaining eggs, pour over the ingredients in the skillet and mix. Fold in tarragon. Serve immediately.
Cheese, Pasta Dishes, Vegetable Dishes, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes
Penne with Asparagus Carbonara. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.