- 2 cups oil
- 1 lb. boned and skinned chicken breast halves, cut in 1" cubes
- 1 teaspoon shaosing wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, finely minced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, cut the size of peas
- 3 dried chili peppers, torn to small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp shaosing wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1. Mix chicken (mock shrimp), 1 tsp shaosing wine, thin soy sauce, flour, cornstarch, egg, and baking soda in a bowl. Chill. In another bowl, mix sugar, dark soy, ketchup, 2 tsps shaosing wine, rice vinegar, and water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat to deep-fry temperature. Add mock shrimp mixture, half at a time, and stir briskly until chicken turns white. Remove with drainer to a paper towel-lined bowl.
3. Remove all but 2 tbls oil from wok. Heat oil, then slightly brown seasonings. Stir in sauce mixture. Stir and cook until it begins to bubble. Return shrimp to wok. Stir-fry for several seconds. Swirl in sesame seed oil. Put on a serving platter. Serve hot over rice.
Serving Ideas : Serve over rice
Mock Shrimp. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.