- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon whole ajwain seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp golden raisins
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Pick over the lima beans and wash them. Put them in a bowl and cover them with 3 cups of water. Leave to soak for 20 hours. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy, 2- to 3-quart pot over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the ajwain seeds and stir once. Now put in the drained lima beans and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the turmeric, cayenne to taste, salt, raisins, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to mix. Add 3/4 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cover tightly and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Check the beans after every 10 minutes. If the water evaporates, add a tablespoon of hot water whenever needed. There should be no liquid left when the lima beans have finished cooking.
Indian, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes
Lima Beans with Raisins. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.