- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ lb. Maytag blue cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 ¾ lbs. shelled and deveined large shrimp, tails intact
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup Crystal hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Celery sticks, for serving
Insisting that "there is no better Sunday couch chow for the start of football season," Andrew Zimmern says these fiery shrimp should be served with Crystal brand hot sauce, which he calls "perfectly balanced." Bonus: it's available everywhere.
1. Make The Dressing: In a food processor, combine everything except the salt and pepper and puree until nearly smooth. Scrape into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Make The Shrimp: In a large bowl, beat the egg with the buttermilk. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Cook The Shrimp: In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels. Spread the cornstarch in a shallow bowl. In three batches, remove the shrimp from the buttermilk mixture, allowing the excess to drip off, and dredge in the cornstarch. Add the shrimp to the hot oil and fry over high heat, turning occasionally, until golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the baking sheet and season with salt.
4. Hot Up The Shrimp: In a large bowl, whisk the hot sauce with the melted butter. Add the fried shrimp and toss well. Transfer to a serving platter and serve right away with the blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
Firecracker Shrimp with Blue Cheese Dressing. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.