- 4 med eggplants, cut 2 inches thick
- 1 qt water, salted to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 lg onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 ½ inch fresh ginger root, sliced paper-thin
- 2 green chiles, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup sour cream
1. Put the eggplant in a large pot with 1 quart water and salt to taste. Cover and boil over medium heat about 10 minutes, until the eggplant is tender. Remove the lid and increase the heat; cook until the water evaporates. Mash the eggplant with a fork and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the onion, garlic, cinnamon, peppercorns, ginger (chopped to matchstick size), and green chiles and fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is browned. Mix in the coriander, cumin, and turmeric and stir for 3–4 minutes, until the oil separates. Add the mashed eggplant and mix thoroughly. Mix the sour cream into the eggplant. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
NOTES : Serve hot with plain rice, chapatis, and any nonvegetarian entrée if desired.
Indian, Vegetarian Dishes
Eggplant in Cream Sauce. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.