- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ¼ cup garam masala
- ½ cup tamarind puree
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed dry red chiles
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 lbs. u-15 sized shrimp, wild caught whole shrimp with the head on; deveined with shell left on
- Lime wedges, for serving
1. Place 2 tablespoons of the oil in large pan over high heat. Brown the onions until they are caramelized and soft. Stir in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt, coriander seeds, garam masala, tamarind, paprika and crushed red chiles. Reserve.
2. Brush the tomatoes with the remaining tablespoon of oil and broil until charred and soft.
3. Combine the onion mixture with the tomatoes and lime juice and process in a blender. Marinate the shrimp in this mixture for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
4. Grill over high direct heat and serve with lime wedges.
Char-Grilled Chili Shrimp. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.