- 1 ¾ lbs. cauliflower
- 1 cup large lima beans, shelled
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon shaosing wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup almonds, blanched
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 slices ginger, quarter-sized
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
1. Cut the cauliflower into very slim flowerets that are about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide at the head, and 1/4-inch thick. You should end up with about 4 heaping cups. Leave them to soak in a bowl of cold water for half an hour (this crisps them up nicely). Bring 4 cups of water in a pot to a rapid boil, then drop in the lima beans. Boil rapidly for about 5 minues or until the beans are just barely tender. Drain.
2. Mix together the cornstarch, wine, sesame oil, and 2 tablespoons water in a cup. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, put in the almonds. Stir and fry until the almonds are golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on paper towels. Mash the garlic and ginger slightly, and put them into the same oil. Stir and fry for about 10 seconds. Add the cauliflower, lima beans, and salt. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover immediately. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the cauliflower is crisply tender. Remove the cover. Turn the heat to medium-low, give the ingredients in the cup a stir, and add them to the wok. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the almonds and stir once. Empty into a warm serving dish and remove the garlic and ginger pieces
Chinese, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes
Cauliflower with Almonds and Lima Beans. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.