- 2 large eggplants, cut into 3cm chunks (500g net weight)
- 7-⅓ tbsps olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 14 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-½ cups bulgur wheat
- ⅔ cup greek yogurt
- 1 small preserved lemon, pips discarded, skin and flesh finely chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely shredded (about 1 tbsp)
You can make jus the bulgur and tomato, if you like (without the eggplant and preserved lemon yogurt) and serve it as a side. With the eggplant and yogurt, though, it makes a satisfying vegetarian main. You can make all the elements up to 1 day ahead—just keep separate in the fridge, warm through and assemble before serving.
1. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
2. Place the eggplant in a large bowl with four tablespoons of oil, half a teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper. Mix, then spread out on a large parchment-lined baking sheed. Roast for 35–40 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the eggplant is caramelized and soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, put three tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of oil in a large sauté with a lid and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and fry for eight minutes, stirring a few times, until caramelized and soft. Add the garlic and allspice and fry for a minute, stirring continuously, until the garlic is aromatic and starting to brown. Add the cherry tomatoes, mashing them with a potato masher to break them up. Stir in the tomato paste, water and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 12 minutes. Add the bulgur, stirring it in so it’s completely coated, then turn off the heat and set aside for 20 minutes, so the bulgur can absorb all the liquid.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the yoghurt with the preserved lemon, half the mint and an eighth of a teaspoon of salt.
5. Divide the bulgur between four plates and serve with the yoghurt and aubergine alongside and a sprinkling of the remaining mint.
Bulgur with Tomato, Eggplant, and Lemon Yogurt. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.