- 150 g bulgur wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 500 g mushrooms, a mixture, thinly sliced (or torn apart if wild)
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup dill, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 60 g feta, broken into 1cm-2cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon Urfa chilli flakes, (or ½ tsp of regular chilli flakes)
- salt and black pepper
This works as both a side and a main, with some winter greens alongside. Get as diverse a mix of mushrooms as you can and like. Thanks to food writer Limor Laniado Tiroche, writing in Haaretz, who inspired this dish.
1. Rinse the bulgur and place in a large bowl. Stir in ¼ teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper, then pour over the boiling water. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and set aside for 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the bulgur is soft. Drain, if there is any liquid left, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, put 2 tablespoons of oil into a large sauté pan and place on a medium high heat. Add the onion and fry for 7-8 minutes, until soft and caramelised. Add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and continue to fry for 1-2 minutes, until dark golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add another 2 tablespoons of oil to the same pan and increase the heat to high. Mix in the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon of salt and fry for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have browned and softened. Add the remaining ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and the thyme and continue to heat for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for about 30 seconds: it should reduce to practically nothing. Stir in the bulgur, onion, dill, feta and chilli flakes, until warmed through, then remove from the heat.
4. Spoon the bulgur and mushrooms on to a large platter or two individual plates. Sprinkle over some extra dill, drizzle with the remaining oil and serve.
Bulgur with Mushrooms and Feta. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.