- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 med onion, finely chopped
- 2 med tomatoes, peeled and minced
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, drained
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsps fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup medium- or coarse-grained bulgar wheat
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a heavy 2- to 3-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid over a medium flame. Put in the onion. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the tomatoes. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tomatoes are pastelike.
2. Add the chickpeas, salt, and parsley. Cook for about 10 minutes on lowish heat, stirring gently as you do so. Now put in the bulgar wheat, water, and the remaining salt. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to very low and cook for 35 minutes.
3. Turn off the flame. Remove the lid and quickly cover the pot with a dish towel. Put the lid back on over the dish towel. Let the pot sit in a warm place for 20 minutes. Put in the black pepper and stir the wheat gently.
Syrian, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes
Bulgur Wheat with Chickpeas and Tomatoes. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.