- 2 lbs. red beets, about 4 large, trimmed of greens
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash beets well. While still wet, wrap them individually in foil and place on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Bake beets, undisturbed, for 60 to 90 minutes, until a thin-bladed knife pierces each with little resistance. (They may cook at different rates; remove each one when it is done.)
2. Meanwhile, put oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. When it is warm, add garlic and cook until fragrant and beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Add walnuts and continue to cook until they begin to color, about another 4 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly and then put it in a small food processor; process until you have a relatively smooth paste. Add orange juice to taste and sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper.
3. After beets have cooled, peel off skins. Slice beets into wedges or cubes and toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnish with parsley and serve.
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Can use up to 1/4 cup orange juice.
Salads, Salads And Dressings, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Dishes
Beets Walnut Salad
Beets with Garlic-walnut Sauce. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.