- ½ lb. flank steak, shredded
- 1 egg white
- ½ tablespoon rice wine
- 2 ½ cups peanut oil
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon pickled hot peppers, minced
- ½ tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1 tablespoon scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon water
1. Shred bamboo shoots into strips 2 inches long and 1/8 inch thick. Shred beef into strips the same size. Mix beef well with the egg white and 1/2 tablespoon rice wine; let it stand for a couple of minutes. Mix together 1/2 tsp cornstarch and 1/2 tsp water in a bowl; set aside.
2. Heat a wok over highest heat for 2 minutes; then add oil. As soon as oil is smoking hot, add beef and deep fry, stirring vigorously for about 5 seconds (no more). Remove beef to strainer and let oil drain off.
3. Clean wok thoroughly and heat 2 to 3 tablespoon oil over high heat until smoking hot. Toss in bamboo shoots and pickled peppers; stir fry for 10 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients except liquid cornstarch; stir fry for 5 seconds more. Return beef to wok and add the cornstarch; stir for about 10 seconds until thoroughly hot. Serve at once.
Serving Ideas : Serve over rice.
Beef Shreds with Pickled Hot Peppers. To import, drag image to your MacGourmet recipe box.